- 0 (Registered)
The development of pressure injuries is a preventable incident; however, each year, more than 2.5 million people in the United States develop pressure ulcer, Studies show that in the acute care setting in the United States, the incidence of bedsores is 0.4% to 38%; within long-term care it is 2.2% to 23.9%, and in home care, it is 0% to 17%. There is a much higher rate of bedsores in the intensive care unis because patients are more susceptible to infections.
1. Discuss common risk factors for pressure injury development.
2. Identify the essential elements of a skin assessment.
3. Recognize techniques for preventing pressure injuries.
4. Differentiate pressure injuries from other wounds
5. Discuss the different stages of pressure injuries
6. Recognize various treatment options available
7. Review the nursing plan of care for pressure injuries